Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 24: Opinions Needed

Hey Humble Readers...

Greetings from the not so frozen flatland!  This has been the weirdest winter I have ever seen on the prairies.  I swear the weather forecasters are just sitting in their studios flipping coins, because they have a fifty-fifty shot of getting it right.  Either it will be snappin' a$$holes cold or it will feel like the beginning of spring.  By Thursday it's supposed to be around 7C here.  Our regular temps for this time of year are in the -7 to -10 range.  I'm not complaining... I'm just confused.  We'll probably end up with snow in May and June. 

So I had a revelation the other day.  Being 24 weeks pregnant sounds like I've still got a long way to go, but given the GD and everything, I am very likely only going to be pregnant for another 13 or maybe 14 weeks (assuming that they don't want me to go much past 38 weeks).  And that sounds a whole heck of a lot shorter.  Nesting instincts are starting to set in... I really need to be making some progress on my to do lists.  I have much organizing and cleaning to do, and rearranging in the nursery to accomplish.  I also want to have the carpets steam cleaned before Easter.  I want to get Ginny's baby book up to date, and make a few casseroles and other meals to freeze like I did last time. 

I finally got a call from my new OB's office last week.  My first appointment with her is next week Tuesday.  One of the things I'm contemplating asking about is, assuming that I will be having a C-section again, how possible is it to get a tubal ligation done at the same time?  My Beloved and I have always discussed him being the one to get 'snipped' but if they have me open anyway, wouldn't it make sense to just get it done and over with?  Our goal has always been to have two children, and given everything the last four years have brought, I don't think an oops pregnancy (wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?) a year or two down the road would be wise for us.  And I DO NOT want to be on bcps for the rest of my life.  What do you all think?

On to the update...

How far along? 24w0d

Maternity clothes? Yup...

Body Oddities? VERY dry skin, alternating constipation and IBS flares, acne, bruises from insulin injections, back ache, cracking joints, super sore & slightly leaky boobs, increased earwax, dry/itchy eyes, leg cramps, round ligament pain, heartburn is much worse, tingly fingertips

Sleep? Good for the most part.  I have been pretty tired the last few days, but I'm still mostly sleeping okay at night.

Best moment this week? when my Beloved felt the halfling move.  He was sooo happy and excited.

Worst moment? When I woke up on Thursday with the buggered up neck and shoulder.  As soon as I opened my eyes I knew that something was wrong.

Movement? Lots and lots.  He/she tends to be quiet in the afternoons, but other than that he/she is a little soccer player... kicking at my belly button all the time.

Food cravings/aversions? Still wanting milk like crazy.  This week I want chocolate milk like nobody's business.  Nausea is still showing up on occasion, but no specific foods are triggering it. 

Rings?  Still on.

Gender? Still think it's a girl.

Intense Dreams? I had one the other night in which Ginny was meeting her little sister (yes, the Halfling was a girl in my dream).  I was still worried about Ginny's lack of talking, but when she saw her sister she said "Baby ____!" (baby's name).  After that, Ginny talked non-stop. 

Medical Concerns? Gestational Diabetes (insulin 5 times a day), High blood pressure (on 100mg of lobetalol 3x daily), continued heartburn (on 150mg of zan.tac 2x daily), kidney stones, low lying placenta.

What I miss?  Sushi, orange juice, maple syrup.

What I look forward to? Meeting my new OB (FINALLY!!) next week.

Emtional State? Pretty good for the most part.  Pain makes me bitchy, tho. 

6 comments :

  1. I don't really have advice per se, and I don't actually know how easy it is to have a tubal ligation done, BUT! I do know that my mom had one done when my brother was born via C-section 31.5 years ago, and my sister-in-law also had it done when my nephew was born via C-section 21 months ago, so I'm guessing it's fairly routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having my tubes tied when I have my C-section with this baby. It's very routine. I think my husband is still going to get the snip-snip too. With four kids, we want to reduce the chance of another OOPS. Whodda thunk an infertile couple needs two medical procedures to halt family building, huh? Life is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is up to you. But be prepared for the OB to not go along with what you decided. My sister asked to get it taken care of right after the birth of her third child. The doctor said she was too young and refused. When she got pregnant with her fourth, my BIL was snipped before he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 24 weeks! Not that long now before you get to hold your little soccer player in your arms.:)
    Following now; Please feel free to follow back if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think lots of women get it done or wantbtomget it done but some drs don't like doing it. But or some reason they don't question a vasectomy?! I'm sure it will all work out! Can't believe you're 24 weeks now! P.s. thanks for the lovely email, I'm working on a response. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.