Monday, January 9, 2012

Inspiration Needed!

Hey Humble Readers...

First, let me get something out of the way... Beloved, if you are reading this, STOP!  COME BACK TOMORROW!  THIS POST IS NOT FOR YOUR EYES!  GO AWAY!  NOW!!!!

Okay, back to my Humble Readers...

I am in need of some suggestions.  I know it's early to be thinking about Valentine's Day, but it's an important day for my Beloved and I (the 6th anniversary of when we were matched on eHarm.ony) and while we can't afford to do something big and splashy, I do like to make a fancy meal for us each year.  Because of our budgetary restrictions, I need to plan ahead for any out of the ordinary ingredients I might need. 

I have chosen one part of the meal, but I seem to be working backward.  Normally, I choose the main course, and then choose sides to go with it.  This time around, I found what I think will be a great special occasion side dish, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to serve with it. 

Warm Potato Salad w/ Smoked Salmon & Dill
Image courtesy of http://www.foodnetwork.ca/
This is what I have found.  It's simple yet elegant, in my opinion.  And totally outside of our normal menu choices.  And veggies to go along with it will be easy enough... oven roasted asparagus or broccoli, maybe with some sauteed mushrooms. 

The thing is, I can't come up with a main dish to go along with it.  The cooking program the recipe was featured on had it in a menu with penne with a lobster cream sauce but potatoes and pasta?  That's too much starch for me, even if I wasn't diabetic.  Not to mention, I have never cooked lobster, and I'm not quite ready to attempt that yet. 

I'm not sure if I should go with more seafood (and if so, what?  My experience cooking seafood is still rather limited), or if I should go with red meat (steaks, maybe?).  I know I don't want chicken, because we eat that all too often... same goes for pork. 

Ok readers, please put on your thinking caps.  I want to plan this so that I can build it into the budget over the next few weeks.

4 comments :

  1. I have a yummy recipe for pork loin with orange sauce. We usually just use pork chops since they are cheaper, but either way I'm willing to share. I also have a recipe for teriyaki salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest a nice steak. I love seafood and steak. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Man. I wish I could help you. I have no idea how to pair foods. A nice steak does sound especially awesome though. I hope Beloved turned back before reading about your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a menu of all finger food? That way you could do chicken skewers, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.