Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hobbit-ish Potpurri: The Road Goes Ever On and On

Howdy Humble Readers...

I'm sorry to say that your friendly neighbourhood hobbit is still under the weather.  It's still primarily a cough (a gross sounding, smokers-like cough), although I have had brief stretches of a low grade fever which has caused me a little angst (didn't get to 101F, so I think I'm okay) and the cough has made it apparent that I don't have the bladder control that I used to.  Ginny has also picked up a bit of the crud, a nasty cough and a runny nose, but that might just be teething.

*****
Despite the crud keeping me homebound this weekend, we did manage to get a few things done.  We are officially unpacked from our trip (finally!).  We were able to get all the Christmas decorations down (FINALLY!! I normally like to have them down by New Year's Day).   Laundry is done, and we are in the process of figuring out a better storage system for Ginny's growing collection of toys.  My to do list for this month has many organization projects on it, and I'm hoping that once I'm over this round of crud I'll be able to be more productive. 

*****
The Halfling has been jumping around like crazy, particularly whenever I drink something cold.  He/she seems to be awake more in the afternoons and evening.  Oh, and he/she really doesn't like it when Ginny decides to use me as a climbing wall.  Her little heels dig deep, and I guess the Halfling got a little pissed off because I got a pretty swift kick in return.  Is this the beginning of sibling rivalry?

*****
I would normally hold this back for my weekly update, but I want to get this down now, before I forget more than I already have.  I had a dream last night about the Halfling.  It was more than a birth dream, although that was part of it.  I saw her (and yes, it was a her), and yet I didn't.  I have no clear picture of what she looked like, except that she was small, smaller than Ginny was at birth.  I called her by name.  She was sucking her thumb right after delivery.  I'm pretty certain that she was delivered via c-section, although I'm not 100% sure.  I just know that I was so very happy.  And relieved.  I woke from the dream shortly after seeing her in the hospital bassinett in my room, but I woke with a peaceful heart.  It was a nice change from my other recent intense dreams. 

*****
Today is one of my 'memory-dates'.  One of those dates that is engraved on my brain.  It's not a loss, or an EDD that never came.  Instead, it's the date that this journey started.  Today marks the 4th anniversary of us beginning down the road to building our family, the day that I took my last birth control pill.  Our journey to get to this point hasn't been as long as some, but I'm thankful that this phase of our lives is slowly coming to a close, transitioning from a goal of getting/staying pregnant to something a little more future focussed.  This road doesn't end, only changes direction, with new challenges and opportunities.  As one of my kinfolk said...
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.       - Bilbo Baggins
(as quoted by J.R.R. Tolkien in LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, CH. 1)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.