Friday, November 19, 2010

Blog Challenge Day 30: A Letter to the Halfling

Howdy Humble Readers...

Today is the last of the blog challenge assignments, and I am supposed to talk about my hope for the future.  I couldn't think of a better way to do that than to take this opportunity to put into words my hopes for this little person I get to meet soon. 

My Precious Little One...

As I feel you move within me, I wonder who you are, who you will become.  I wonder what you will look like, which side of the family you will take after.  I wonder, will you be logical and mellow like your Daddy, or will you be creative and ruled by your emotions, like me?  Or will you be someone completely different?  Whoever you are, I know you will be amazing. 

Where do I begin to articulate my hopes for you?

I think my biggest hope for you is that you will have joy in your life.  Not just happiness, but true joy.  Joy doesn't rely on things around you going right or being perfect, it's a state of mind and an element of faith.  Joy persists in the face of trouble, and doesn't fade when the road gets rough.  Having joy in your heart doesn't mean you won't have pain, but it will help see you through. 

I hope you never feel alone, that you know you will always have someone to love you, to help you through the hard times and celebrate with you in the good times. 

I hope that you look at this world with eyes open to mystery and wonder.  There is astounding greatness all around us, in people and our variety of cultures, in the physical world around us, and in the things that we can't see.  I hope that you have a place in your heart to celebrate and contribute to the diversity that makes our world wonderful.

I hope you have courage.  Courage to acknowledge and face your fears.  There is no shame in being afraid, and courage allows us to work through our fear and come out stronger on the other side. 

I hope that you understand, someday, that your Father and I are scared and humbled at the prospect of raising you.  I hope that you know in your heart how much we have longed for you and prayed for you.  I hope that you never have reason to doubt our love for you. 

I hope you never ever lack for hope.

Love,
Mommy

*****
Nursery pics will be posted tomorrow! 

7 comments :

  1. This is wonderful, these are the sort of posts you will grow to cherish for a long time to come.

    I also can't wait to hear how little one is.

    All the best for the coming week.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet :) I actually started working on a letter last night when I couldn't sleep. Knowing me I will hem and haw over it for an eternity before I get it just right.

    Can't WAIT to see the nursery pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make this your Creme post??? Because I am so incredibly in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful. I can't believe you're almost there, it seems like the time has gone by so fast. Congrats, and I can't wait to see if the halfling is a girl or boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a beautiful letter. I agree with Kakunaa, this should be your Creme de la Creme post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely letter there!

    Hope someday you will actually share it with the kid!

    Just 9 days to go! Whooooosh!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.