Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hobbit-ish Potpurri: Random Insanity

Good afternoon Humble Readers...

Thank you so much for you kind words on last night's post.  I really appreciate all your support.

*****
So, here's the current scene in the hobbit hole. 


That's my entryway and kitchen.  (And, yes, that's the crib in its box in my living room.)  Yikes!  As it turns out, it's likely going to be a two day job.  They had to chop our old furnace into pieces to get it out.  Thankfully, I was at a doctor appointment while that was going on.  Like everything in our condo, the furnace room is small, so it makes for cramped work spaces for the guys doing the work.   It will be great once it's done, but this sort of thing just sets me on edge.  The one installer is very talkative, so I've heard all about his BIL who lives with him and the drama that has taken over his house.

*****
As I mentioned, I had a doctor appointment today.  It was with Dr. B, my regular family doctor.  Dr. U is on vacation, but he didn't want me to go a week without a check in about my insulin and blood sugar numbers.  My interaction today with Dr. B reminded me why I wish that Dr. U was a regular GP and not just an OB.  Dr. B is not very supportive or encouraging about anything.  He made the usual "we need to make sure you don't gain too much weight" comment, even tho I am still below my pre-pregnancy weight by a pound and a half.  He took my blood pressure (130 over 70), and commented that "even though it appears normal" he's sure we'll have to increase the dosage on my meds sooner rather than later (he said that same thing when he first put me on the lobetalol, 10 weeks ago).  He was also fairly condescending about my blood sugar numbers.  He was "very concerned" that my fasting sugars are still so high (averaging 6.9-7-3 most days), and then clucked and hmmmm-ed over my food log.  Yes, I have allowed myself a few treats here and there, but for 90% of the time, I have been very good.  Anyway, the new plan is to add a morning shot of the long acting insulin to see if we can get my baseline blood sugars down, and then things should fall into place.  Should...

*****
I came across this article today... I think it would freak the tar out of me if I saw one of these speed bumps ahead of me. 

*****
On the menu tonight: Lazy cabbage roll casserole.  We'll see how it goes.  I've only ever made traditional cabbage rolls, so this seems a little odd.  But if it works, then I won't have to spend a ton of time burning my fingers making 'real' ones.

*****
Autumn is definitely here.  Trees are turning colour dramatically.  It's been rainy and brisk all week.  A year ago this time it was still hot and dry.  So much for my hopes of a late winter.  *sigh*  Oh well... it's been making me think of turkey and pumpkins... Thanksgiving is a month away (for those of us north of the 49th parallel) and I'm looking forward to cooking a big meal. 

4 comments :

  1. Speed bumps that look like children! Holy crap! You'd think those might actually CAUSE some accidents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least your hobbit hole will be very warm this winter! :) How did the lazy cabbage rolls turn out? I would like to try something like that! And in regards to your post yesterday, I am having one of those months too as the end of September would have been my due date. :( It is just a hard time for me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lazy cabbage rolls? Do tell!
    Those speed bumps would totatlly freak me out! Yikes! I can picture people slamming on their breaks now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those speed bumps are sick and twisted.

    As for Dr. B, does the B in his name stand for butthead? He sure doesn't have a good bedside manner.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.