Friday, April 2, 2010

Hobbit-ish Potpurri: Week 5

Good Evening Humble Readers...

I hope you are all having a good long weekend.  It's not a long weekend for me, but I do get Sunday off (not usual at all) so I get to spead Easter with my Beloved.

*****
So, last night at work was a bit of a crazy night.  I have to give you a bit of back story.  We have had, for at least two years, issues with pervy guys at our store.  First there was the creepy bike-shorts guy who liked to expose himself.  Yuck!  We finally got rid of him, and had a few quiet, perv-free months, when we started getting complaints of a guy in the ladies washroom.  Twice yesterday we had reports of a man in the ladies room, and I ended up having to confront a guy last night (with the help of a customer).  The whole situation involved the guy getting away, and I had to give a statement to the police.  Really... what is wrong with people?!?!

*****
One of our neighbours is moving out and renting out his unit.  Great... now half the building will be renters.  Blech! (not that I have anything against renters per se, it just makes it more difficult to get things done around the building)

*****
Okay, so I know I haven't updated the menu in the sidebar for ages... but I have to tell you about our dinner tonight.  I haven't been motivated to do a lot of cooking lately.  A lot of evening shifts combined with early pregnancy symptoms makes for a lot of eating out.  Tonight tho, I made pan-fried tilapia and tomato rice.  Last time I went to Costco, I found panko bread crumbs (the Japanese breadcrumbs that they always use on the food network), so I used them on the fish tonight, and OMG... sooooooo good!  Amazingly crunchy and so yummy! 

*****
Easter dinner is coming... roasted leg of lamb, lemon potatoes, and green beans with almonds.  Who's coming over?

*****
Halfling update: It's been a pretty quiet week, after the doctor stress.  Mild nausea pretty much every day, the sore b00bs seem to come and go, my nose is working overtime (what is that smell in the fridge?), and pretty tired all the time.  18 days until the ultrasound.  The only thing I've been craving is cottage cheese.  I've had a few moments of worry, when it feels like my symptoms have vanished, but I'm clinging to the belief that all will be well, and we WILL see a heartbeat.  Monday will bring another bloodtest. 

*****
Pregnancy Books... Picks and Pans - So, I was looking for something kind of funny, so I got "The Unexpected When You're Expecting".  It claims right up front to be a parody of the obvious.  The thing is, I found it very insulting to IFers (one of the games listed in the Baby Shower chapter was 'Guess the Secret Infertile").  Stay away from this book... Run away screaming.  On the other end of the spectrum... "The Gourmet Pregnancy" is THE book for a pregnant foodie!  Filled with incredibly amazing pregnancy-safe, nutritous recipes (watermelon refresher, cherry mint tart with shortbread crust, tempura pickles, and some incredible looking crab cakes!  One particularly groovy feature is the listing of recipes sorted by craving (salt, ice cream, ice, sour, etc). 

8 comments :

  1. Your halfling is the size of a sweet pea..Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy guy in the ladies room? Wow.

    I'm glad you have off Sunday and can enjoy the day. I like your "pics and pans" too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEk about the yucky guys. Scary. I'm glad the customer was there to help you.
    That book you talked about-wow! I am totally going to stay clear. Sounds horrible. (Not that I need it...*sigh*)
    I'd love to come for Easter if I was on the same continent!
    Thinking of you-pregnancy symptoms all sound very promising!!
    Also I read yesterday's post but didn't reply sorry-I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Emily Hope. I know how hard these anniversaries can be.
    Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy (or everything your doctor wouldn't tell you)

    And, omg, that Easter menu sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ICK! Perverts in the workplace? Yuck!

    I would so looooove to visit for Easter, your menu sounds divine!

    Boo on the book which pokes fun at IFers. Way cool that you found a PG book with recipes for cravings.

    Yay for Halfling continuing to do well. I'm confident you'll continue to have excellent numbers with Monday's bloodwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work in a public space, too and some of the conversations I had with people were truly bizarre. I imagine your conversation "Listen, Pervy, Stay Out Of The Ladies" was similarly bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man what a buunch a freaks huh, nasty. Glad you got rid of them.

    Your dinners always sound amazing. I never used to like lamb, but once I had THE perfect roasted shank and I am a fan now. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sounds of that Gourmet Pregnancy Book - might have to track that one down...My favourite book in my first pregnancy (way back when) was by Kaz Cooke "Up the Duff" I'm not sure if its available (or relevant) outside of Australia but it was funny and put my mind at ease. I think its just about the only pregnancy book I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.