Thursday, July 2, 2009

Honest Scrap Award

Hey Humble Readers... I'm taking a break while my baby back ribs and sauce are doing their thing (old family recipe, and no I can't post it, but I will give you some pics later... to feed your food fantasies) and I'm going to play a little catch up.

You see, I've been negligent in expressing my thanks to two very wonderful bloggy friends for an award. So thank you Mai at Salvagable and If Optimist for bestowing the Honest Scrap Award on my little corner of the internet.

Like every fabulous bloggy award, there are rules to follow. Post groovy icon... check! Post 10 honest things about yourself... check! Pass on the award to 7 other bloggers who I think are awesome in content and/or design (wait, how'd I get nominated for this thing?)... hmmm that could be tough because pretty much everyone has had this one, but I will do my best.

So, ten honest things about me:
  1. I am a big geek. I've been a Trek fan since birth, I love arcade-type computer games (none of that shoot 'em up stuff for me... except maybe Duck Hunt), fantasy novels and movies give me a thrill, and I can spend hours online just surfing. Yesterday was a bright shiny day for geeks of my variety... not only did I see the trailer for Sup.er Ma.rio Gala.xy 2 (omg... I'm so happy), but I also found out about the newest manifestation of the Starg.ate series due to premiere this fall, Starg.ate Univ.erse (I almost had kittens, how had I missed this?).
  2. I am not a great housekeeper. I'm not a slob, but spending time dusting and vacuuming are not tops on my list. I have been known, upon receipt of a phone call from a friend or family member saying that they will be dropping by, to sweep things under the rug and stuff dishes in the oven.
  3. I have a dream of owning a home with a big porch and a big red front door. I don't know enough about archetecture to be able to say what style of house it is but I tend to think of it as californian in a way... a wide shaded porch bordered by a half wall, and the roof held up with square tapered pillars. I wish I had a pic of one to share by way of explanation.
  4. I am a writer who doesn't finish much. I come up with a lot of storylines, but I rarely actually get through writing them from beginnng to end. I know I need to learn the butt-chair rule, and stick to it.
  5. I have said it before, but I am addicted to school supplies. Yellow pencils, good pens, blank notebooks, felt pens... you name it, I love it. When I was a kid, I would start playing school with my stuffies and younger siblings about a week after school got out. I know, it's a sickness.
  6. I have also mentioned before my love of musicals. When I was 9 years old, I fell head over heels in love with Annie. So did another girl who lived down the street from me. Between the two of us, we mobilized all the elementary school aged kids on our block and we did our own version of Annie, mostly lip-synching to the soundtrack. We didn't have consistent roles assigned. Instead, songs would determine who played whom. In some songs I was Annie, and in others I was Daddy War.bucks. When playing DW, I had to be bald, but the only way we could come up with for that to happen was for me to wear a shower cap to cover my hair... and the only shower cap we could find had blue and yellow polka dots all over it.
  7. I always had an inkling that I would have problems having kids. There was no specific issue... I was regular like clockwork and other than a m/c after her tubal ligation my bio-mom didn't have any problems getting and staying pregnant. It was just gut feeling.
  8. When I was first matched with my Beloved on eH.armony, I saw his picture and I was certain that he wouldn't be interested in someone like me. He was so handsome and looked so put together...
  9. My family background is complicated at best. Maybe some time I will go into details. Some highlights... at one point I had six parents, I have a former-foster-step-nephew, and my foster-dad is only 10 years older than me.
  10. I am fascinated by Asian cultures, but I'm terrified to travel to that part of the world. I love reading about them and watching documentaries set in the East. I think it's just that I'm afraid of getting lost in a place where things are so very different from all that I know.

Now, for the nominations.... drumroll please!

If you have had this award recently (or even if you haven't, but just aren't into it) you don't have to do the passing it on thing. I have really gotten so much from these blogs... and so many others... I love this community and I think none of us get enough gold stars in this world!

5 comments :

  1. Your dream house sounds more Southern US than California style - I also dream of a house with a big porch, but mine has a blue door =). And I'm a Trek fan. And I've always been addicted to school supplies too (I just found an old "Trapper Keeper" - did you have those in Canada?

    As far as Asian cultures - I've been to Japan and it was awesome. Westernized enough for me to be comfortable, different enough to make it really cool. I would be more nervous to go somewhere less Westernized, but I would still go! (the plane ride is awful, though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the house style is called craftsman. They have both in the southeast and in CA.

    I also have a complicated family. I have 3 moms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same dream house -- big porch, red front door! love it. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list! Thanks for the shout out. Will the farscape duo be in the new Stargate series? I am a major sci-fi/tech geek too! Nerds rule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked reading your honest things. We have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.