Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Show & Tell: O Canada

Good Morning Humble Readers! And happy Canada Day!

In honour of my country's 142nd birthday, I am going to give you some cool Canadian trivia. (Btw, I am very proud of the pic of our flag... it took me more than 15 shots to get one I liked.) So...
  • The name Canada comes from a Huron-Iroquois word (Kanata) which means settlement or village.

  • Tim Hortons (the quintessential Canadian fast food chain... coffee and doughnuts) out sells the golden arches every year, earning us the nickname of the Timbit Nation

  • Canadians have invented a lot of stuff including... basketball, five pin bowling, pacemakers, ginger ale, Trivial Pursuit, Superman, zippers, velcro, standard time, the electron microscope, the Canadarm, snowblowers, and IMAX

  • Canada has the second largest land mass in the world, but the smallest population density

  • In the entertainment world, Canadians are known for their comedy... Jim Carrey, John Candy, Mike Myers, Michael J. Fox, Dan Akroyd, Dave Foley, Tom Green, Phil Hartman, Eugene Levy, Rick Mercer, Howie Mandel, Andrea Martin, Leslie Nielson, Colin Mochrie, Rick Moranis, Martin Short, and my personal favourite, Shaun Majumder.

  • In Canadian history, we have an equivalent to Paul Revere... her name was Laura Secord, and she warned the British of an impending attack by Americans during the War of 1812, and the Brits were able to win the battle (and ultimately the war). Also, during the War of 1812, Canadians managed to burn down the west wing of the White House (not one of our best moments).

  • The Hudson's Bay company once owned more than 10% of the surface of the earth.

  • The following statement is generally considered the most confusing thing a Canadian can say to anyone in the english-speaking world... "Hey, hand me a serviette because I just spilled my poutine on the chesterfield, and I don't want to use my toque to clean it up." (10 hobbit points to any of my American friends who can translate ;) )

I hope all you hosers out there have a groovy Dominion Day... enjoy your bbqs, beer, and fireworks! I know I will, eh...

And don't forget to head over to Mel's to check out what the rest of the class is showing this week!

14 comments :

  1. I always love a fun fact - and you have many! Happy Canada Day to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling you'd be flag waving too. Read The Ferguson borhter's book "How to be Canadian"? If not a seriously funny read... Enjoy the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading more about Kanata. I want to try for 10 points (I think I have some of it right, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.) Look away if you want to play.
    **********************************
    **********************************
    **********************************
    Hand me a napkin because I just spilled my stewon the dresser and I don't want to use my hat to clean it up.
    **********************************
    **********************************
    **********************************
    Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IF Optimist - close, but not quite! But I won't tell you what's wrong, as I don't want to spoil the fun (fellow Canadian here) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Canada Day! I had no idea that even half of those actors are Canadians!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who needs a history class...we've got you!

    Great facts...I won't soon forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great trivia! Thanks for sharing and Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang! I had it all except the stew!

    Thanks for the Canada lesson. I'd often wondered where the name came from.

    Awesome comedians, but the fascination with curling mystifies me.

    Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the trivia!

    I'm with Lavender Luz - I had it all except for the stew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol... IF Optimist was close... she has 2 of the terms correct. And stew is not correct... keep those guesses coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the trivia. I used to live in Michigan and go over there all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun Show & Tell!

    Okay...maybe I'm waaaay off here, but here goes:

    "Hey, hand me a NAPKIN because I just spilled my FRENCH FRIES (or POTATOES) on the SOFA, and I don't want to use my HAT to clean it up."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Canada Day! And how enlightening of you to have shared such fun trivia with us!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Canada Day! (a day late) I love that photo of the flag, btw. It was worth all your efforts! All I knew was serviette, so I won't embarrass myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.