Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pippin Update: A Whole Year

Hey Humble Readers...

Well, better late than never, right?  I'm finally getting things together to tell you about Pippin's first birthday party.  I still can't get over the fact that he's a full year old now.  How has it been a year since that crazy nightmare C-section, since my crazy-lady roommate in the hospital, since bringing him home on Mother's day? 
Spent a couple of hours the night before blowing up a ridiculous
number of balloons.
 For his birthday, I had decided ages ago that we were going with a beach/surf theme and I wanted to use royal blue and orange for the main colours (totally not even thinking about the fact that those are Oilers colours, and we are a Flames household... my sister and BIL thought this was hilarious as they are big Oilers fans). 
Food!
 On the menu were spicy grilled shrimp skewers, fruit kabobs, chips (sea salt and vinegar of course!), gold fish crackers (for Ginny), cake, and a cocktail called a pineapple smash (pineapple juice, white cranberry juice, and vermouth) for the grown ups. 
Graham crumb sand, and blue sprinkles for the water

Took forever to find the little umbrellas
 I'm really happy with how the cake turned out, as I am not a baker or a great cake decorator.  Of course I got the idea off Pinterest, and with surrounding the outside with kitkat bars, it made it soooo easy.  The cake was chocolate raspberry, with raspberry jam (low sugar of course) in the middle.  Pippin totally went to town on his piece, ending up with cake up his nose and in his ear. 
"Happy Birthday to you!"
Ginny loves the Happy Birthday song so much that she's been singing happy birthday to Pip since April.  And yes, she's still singing it, more than two weeks after his birthday.
mmmmm... cake!

more please?
He was spoiled rotten.  I had told most of the family that what he really needed was summer clothes, and they came through.  He got a ton of tshirts, shorts, and muscle shirts.  And couple toys and books thrown in there too. 

opening gifts with Daddy

Lookin' like a little old farmer

of course he wanted to play with the paper
It was a relatively small gathering, just the four of us, Gramma (Beloved's mom), Mama (my mom), my sister and her husband and kids.  Still we had fun celebrating our little man.   By four o'clock our hobbit hole was ours again, he was bathed, redressed, and we were all resting.  I can't imagine what it's going to be like when we start having birthday parties with tons of kids.  I'll be a mess.  :)
official 1 year portrait

how can you not love this face?


3 comments :

  1. Love the decorations, LOVE the cake, and LOVE LOVE that little face! Happy Birthday little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake is AMAZING!!! :) lol about the Oilers' colours. That's too funny. The party looked like a hit.
    Love the one year pics! His hate is so cute. How do we have one year olds now?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is just adorable. Happy Birthday, Pip! I'm just dreading all the b-day parties with kids! I came across this and it made me laugh: http://www.scarymommy.com/birthday-parties-suck/

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.