Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hobbit-ish Potpurri:

Howdy Humble Readers...

We're beginning to feel a little like Noah around here and wondering if we need to build an ark.  Another few days, and I may have to start checking for moss between my toes.  It's been raining pretty much for a week.  The upshot is that the grass is nice and green, but I'm getting a little tired of walking in the rain every morning.  I'm trying to remember how I managed when I lived in Seattle for four years.  All the rain never really bothered me then.  Hmmm...

*****
I had an appointment with Dr. B today.  Just another follow-up on my blood sugars.  He's very happy with my sugars, and my weight loss (47 pounds down!).  He basically told me that he normally sees diabetic patients once a month for at least 6 months as they adjust and commit to the changes they need to make, but he doesn't need to see me again until I need a refill on my prescriptions (sometime early August).  Woohoo!  My blood pressure was a little high today, but he chalked that up to the lingering cough.  We did talk about my goal of being med free (at least for the high blood pressure) by my 40th birthday a little over a year from now, and he's very confident that I can get there easily.  So long as I stay on track. 

*****
Pippin has cut two teeth in the past week.  So with the congestion from the cold he's still got, and the runny nose stuff from teething, my life has been all about snot the past few days.  You know, I can handle the poop, vomit, and pee.  But drool and snot just make my skin crawl.  Ick. 

*****
Ginny has been doing really well with her letters and numbers, being able to name all her uppercase letters for the last few months.  Recently she's started figuring out that there's an order to them all, and has begun counting to 10 by rote, as well as singing the alphabet song.  This week I started working with her on recognizing her name printed out.  We had some dollar store beach balls from Pip's birthday party, so on one of them I wrote out all our names in block letters, and she's gotten very good at picking out her name.  I toss her the ball, and when she catches it she has to find the name I say.  Next we'll start working on lowercase letters. 

*****
AF is here, and true to form, she's been a little strange.  For the last 6 months or so, there has been a lot of spotting before and after, and killer (KILLER!!!) cramps.  This month, no spotting, hardly any cramps (mostly just a backache)... just 'hey I'm here' and that's it.  Could this be due to getting my sugars under control?  Being more physically active?  Or simply that it's been a year since Pip was born and my body is getting back to normal?  Probably a bit of all three, but still it's strange. 

*****
Planning on buying myself a new pair of shoes for walking this weekend, maybe some more yoga pants for when I'm working out, and a belt!  Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've owned a belt?  The capris that I bought at the beginning of April are already getting to be too big, and the jeans I got in January are starting to slip when I walk (especially if I've got my keys or phone in my pocket).  Since another wardrobe of pants isn't in the budget, a belt will have to do the trick.  I haven't worn a belt in more than 20 years.  I'm super excited.  Dorky, huh?

2 comments :

  1. Awesome weight loss!!! Good job! I own a belt, I'm sure of it, but I think I'd have to punch new holes in it before I could wear it. LOL. Hope you guys feel better soon! Also, I love the rain. LOVE. Mainly because it means I don't have to water my garden. :) But it makes me very happy to stay inside and watch/listen to it. Aaaaah....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny - I just bought a belt on Saturday because I find I am in between sizes, so I am forever pulling up my pants. It's not dorky, it's a sign you are accomplishing your weight loss goals.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.