Monday, April 30, 2012

Z is For... Zoya

Good Evening Humble Readers...

(Just a heads up... for some reason Blogger still doesn't like it when I capitalize the letter z.  Very frustrating.)

Today is the final day for the A to z Challenge, and I'm happy to say that I actually didn't have a hard time coming up with a fictional character to share with you.  Her name is zoya.

I honestly don't remember a lot about her.  She is the title character in a Danielle Steele novel I read many many many years ago.  I remember that it an 'Anastasia' story, and zoya was believed to be the only surviving daughter of Czar Nicholas II.  I remember there were scenes in Russia, Paris, and New York.  But, that's really all I recall of the story.

What makes her so memorable for me was when and where I encountered her story.  I was 15 years old, and in Germany as an exchange student.  I'm not sure what I was thinking, but for someone who needs to have books around just for comfort, I only packed two novels for the entire three month trip.  At this point in my life, two novels might have been enough, but not back then. 

I had read and reread the two I had about three times, when my exchange partner's older sister, who had just gotten back from a trip to the US and had brought this novel back with her (along with a few Agatha Christies).  I devoured it.  It was the first time I had read a Steele novel, and the romance appealed to me.  I'm really not a fan of her work now, but back then, it was so nice and comforting to find something I enjoyed and could actually read. 

What book or author has surprised you most?  Was it one that you were shocked to find that you liked it?  Or was it a favourite author who disappointed you?

1 comment :

  1. I always wanted to be an exchange student, but my school didn't have a program :(

    Twilight was a shocker for me. The way everyone went on about it I had really high expectations. Instead, it was a literary Snakes on a Plane (which I love for all it's campy awfulness, but it knows what it is...).

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.