Monday, April 9, 2012

H is For... HOBBITS!!! (And a Hand Update)

Hey Humble Readers...

I'll get to my H fictional characters in a moment, but first up I wanted to give you a brief update on my stupidity. 

Thankfully, the burns aren't as bad as they seemed yesterday.  There are blisters on my palm and all my fingers, but other than making things stiff, they aren't painful for the most part.  I took the dressing off today, as it was making caring for a toddler almost impossible (the tabs from her diapers were sticking to the gauze, etc).  I am going to keep them covered at night so that they get some time to heal properly, but during the day I'm just going to keep babying them a bit and trying not to over do it.  Gripping anything in my right hand is an issue and fine motor skills are iffy (I couldn't do my bra up by myself today... lol), but in a couple of days things should be okay.  Thank you all so much for your kind words and concern.  Honestly, I felt like a bloomin' idiot. 

So... on to today's A to z challenge post...
Of course, I could have milked my absolute favourite characters for multiple posts, by talking about each one individually.  But I'm not that type of person (at least not most of the time).  So, without further ado, here's why I love my shire-dwelling cousins...

Bilbo - Bilbo Baggins, is the epitome of hobbits.  Quiet, retiring, lover of books and good food, he avoids adventures of all sorts.  He is a fastidious and rather anal-retentive little soul, who gets sucked into the dwarfs burglary scheme in spite of himself.  What is so astounding, and what I love so much about him, is that he has a plethora of skills and abilities that prove him to invaluable to the plot.  No one expects much of him in the realm of Smaug the dragon or the darkest corners of the Mirkwood... and yet, he is the one who saves the day over and over.  He is the consummate underdog.

Frodo - Frodo Baggins, cousin and adopted heir of Bilbo, becomes the Ring-bearer and entrusted with the unenviable task of carrying the One Ring to the fires of Mordor to destroy it.  Although he starts out as a mostly typical hobbit (with allowances being made for his Took-ishness), due to the effects of the Ring and the injuries he incurs on his journey he becomes much more introspective and rather unhappy.  The primary characteristic that I love about Frodo is his sense of duty.  He knows what has to be done, and does it without really thinking about what it will mean for his own well-being.  He sees past his immediate situation to what is best for everyone around him.

Pippin - Peregrin Took, the youngest of the four hobbits in the Ring trilogy, starts out as comic relief, but quickly becomes someone to admire.  He, with his best friend Merry, helps to motivate the Ents to act in the Two Towers, and becomes a member of the Guards of the Citadel at Minas Tirith to symbolically repay Denathor for the loss of his son Boromir, who died trying to save him and Merry from the Orcs.  I love his humour and his sense of honour.  (And if this Halfling I'm expecting turns out to be a boy, his bloggy name will be Pippin)

Merry - Meriadoc Brandybuck, is the thinking-man's hobbit.  He's the one who figures out the riddle of the doors to the Mines of Moria, and knows the shortcuts to avoid being tracked by the Black Riders.  He's protective of his friends, and will defend them to his dying breath, as he shows when he faces the Witch King of Angmar with Eowyn. 

Sam - Samwise Gamgee, my all-time favourite hobbit, is the dictionary definition of side-kick.  He sticks to Frodo like glue throughout their whole long journey.  He cares for him, protects him, makes sure he eats, and doesn't allow him to carry more than the burden of the Ring.  He watches as Frodo begins to sink under the power of the Ring and, when Frodo finally can't carry on any longer he simply picks up Frodo and carries him the rest of the way.  He is loyal to a fault, and won't let even a little thing like the One Ring of Power get between him and his charge. 

For a complete list of hobbits as mentioned in Tolkien's works, I refer you here.

Do you have a favourite hobbit?  And if you don't, why the heck don't you?  :)

4 comments :

  1. I'd have to say Sam is definitely my favourite hobbit too. Every time I read or hear these lines my eyes and heart instantly well up:
    Sam: “I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr Frodo, the ones that really matter. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was with so much bad happened?

    But in the end it is only a passing thing. This shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stay with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I don't know if I have a favorite. I just love them all so much. I'm trying to force myself to decide on a favorite, but I keep going in circles of why I love each of them.... Really, can't decide. :) And glad your hand is feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam was definitely my favorite. Now I must go and watch LOTR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your site. I thought I was the only nerd who read the hobbit about 6million times! Ok maybe just 6 times. Love all hobbits... My mom always said don't have favorites! Hope my twins embrace the hobbits when it's time. Heal quickly!
    Found you through A to Z... I'm #893.
    Leigh
    http://www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.