Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bloggity Summer Camp: The Hobbit In High School

Hey Humble Readers...

Day two of Bloggity Summer Camp and I'm having a blast. (scroll down to my second post from yesterday if you want to see Day One)  If you don't know what I'm talking about, make sure to swing by Creating Motherhood and sign up!

So today our lovely Camp Director Calliope asks: What were you like in high school? What extracurricular activities, if any, did you take part in during high school? Did you consider yourself a writer?

So who was the hobbit in high school?  Well...

Pure and simple, I was a geek... I loved boy bands and let myself get lost in books.  I enjoyed school, but I didn't stand out as an all-star student.  I loved classes like English and History, and did remarkably well in Biology.  I totally sucked at Math and Geography.  I also took a lot of useless classes just to get my credits for graduation. 

I spent a lot of time in the library and had many philosophical debates with the very patient Mr. Gradin.  I was such a book geek that I would get let out of classes to help conduct the annual inventory in the library.  And I loved it. 

One thing that was extraordinarily out of character for me was that I really enjoyed drama class.  I think it was the one place where I could be myself without fear of being ridiculed.  I participated in many assemblies and even competed in Fringe Fest with a monologue about a very self-isolated girl named Emily. 

I have pretty much always considered myself a writer, even though I rarely finish anything I start (a terrible TERRIBLE trait I still work to overcome).  I started writing stories when I was 7 years old and it hasn't stopped yet.  In high school I took a creative writing class and found it very frustrating as it was far more structured and a lot less creative than I was hoping for.  My biggest challenge is moving an idea from my brain to the page.  I have all kinds of plot lines and characters rattling around in my poor brain.  They just don't seem to want to move out through my fingers. 

Well... I'm off to go check out what other campers are talking about today!  :)

3 comments :

  1. Very cool. I am definitely going to participate in this. I'm running on empty as far as blog topics go......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly am loving this blogging summer camp. I'm getting to learn all kinds of things about my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.