Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blog Challenge Day 4: My Favourite Book

Hey Humble Readers...

So, day four... my favourite book...

(excuse me while I kill myself laughing!)

How can I possibly choose just one?  I'm a bibliophile.  I always have been. 

I learned to read when I was four years old, and books have played a huge role in every stage of my life.  I remember the first library I ever visited... heaven! 

Libraries became my safe place when my family life went down the toilet when I was in elementary school, and books became my escape. 

When I was in high school, I was a total nerd who hung out in the library whenever I could.  I would even get out of classes to help with the annual inventory.  (Told ya I was a nerd)

In college, I got my first taste of working with books.  I worked in the college bookstore, and on quiet shifts I would just surf through the catalogues and databases looking at all the different books available.  I also became acquainted with the wonderful world of special order. 

After college, I went into my chosen field, and I would joke on bad days that I really should just work in a bookstore.  When I had been in my chosen field for four years, and realized that the bad days were far outnumbering the good, I decided to pack it in (for the betterment of my mental health). 

And shortly thereafter began my career in the retail book industry.  The rest, as they say, is history. 

I read when I'm happy.  I read when I'm sad.  I read when I'm scared, and when I'm depressed.  I have to read, even if it's just a few pages, every night before I fall asleep.  You could say I'm addicted.

One more tale to tell that illustrates my co-dependant relationship with the written word... 

Several years ago, my hometown was surrounded by wildfires, and my family was evacuated.  In the mad rush to collect up the heirlooms, the important papers, the dogs, and anything else that we deemed un-burnable, I completely forgot to pack a book, any book.  When we got to my grandmother's condo, and were trying to get settled, I realized I had nothing to read.  That's when panic set in.  How would I survive without something to read?  (you think I'm joking, but I'm not!)  My grandma had a small case of books, the majority of which had been my grandfather's.  Somehow, stuffed in between the many Stephen King titles, the home medical encyclopedias, and readers digest volumes, I found a Danielle Steel novel.  I seriously carried that book around the condo like a two-year-old carries their favourite blankie or teddy bear.  I told you, I'm nuts...

So, I ask you, how can I possibly have a favourite book?

*****
I hope you have all had a great weekend... mine has been another busy one, but good nonetheless.  Prenatal classes were interesting yesterday (will tell more tomorrow or Tuesday), and we had to stop by my bookstore (to deal with a bit of a fiasco that affects my mat leave benefits), and do the grocery shopping.  Today was church, and then over to my friend R's place for yummy treats and girl talk. 

Now, I'm just waiting for dinner to finish bubbling away.  Have you noticed that I've gotten back into updating the weekly menu over there on the right?  Tonight is a new recipe... chicken goulash.  Hopefully it turns out well.  It smells really good!  (And WiseGuy... if you show up for dinner some night, I won't be the least bit surprised.  :)  )

5 comments :

  1. I know, right...favorite book??? HA! Enjoy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm curious are you pro- or anti- Kindle? I love having a physical book but I have to admit I am tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard of or read any of the George R. R. Martin series "A Song of Ice and Fire"? I finished the first book, and just started the second. It's awesome, and I know you're into fantasy so you might like it. HBO is coming out with a series next year based on those books, and I might up my TV package to include HBO for that reason alone!

    I too am curious about your thoughts on the eReaders. I love my Kindle oh so much, but my eye sight is poor. With the Kindle, I can adjust the font size, and read in comfortable positions. So awesome, and I love the dictionary, highlighting, and not taking features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...I answered the wrong post here. It's been that kind of day.

    I totally agree with you. It simply is NOT possible to have a favorite book.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.