Monday, September 21, 2015

#MicroblogMonday: It Comes In Threes

Greetings Humble Readers...

Marriages around me have taken an beating in the past month.  Three marriages in my broader social circle have hit the skids.  One is a couple with two small kids, who had been together since high school.  Another involves a stereotypical mid-life crisis.  The third just makes me sad.  Two are in our family, one is an old friend. 

All of this makes me wonder, why?  And why am I surprised when it happens?  I know that no one goes into marriage (except maybe a Kardashian) with the expectation that it will end.  And it makes me worry... if it can happen to these people, then it could happen to us. 

My Beloved and I are good.  We've faced a lot together and survived it.  I think we've come through much of it stronger, as a couple.  As a team. 

Current events have just rattled me a little. 

*****
This was posted as a part of Mel's #MicoroblogMondays.  Pop over and check out what others are sharing today. 

4 comments :

  1. So far I haven't had any friends or relatives split up, at least in my adulthood, which now that I think about seems weird. I do have a friend whose marriage seems to be in perpetual crisis, though, and sometimes I find it exhausting. Sometimes I worry my own marriage has problems under the surface that we're too busy to really notice or address, and that at some point in the future, when life is calmer or the kids have left the house, those problems will have become huge monsters that we can't fix anymore. It's hard when life is so busy to tend to all the things that need tending, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true -- other people's divorces rattle you. We weathered two -- one with friends, one with family -- that just stunned us. If it could happen to them, it could happen to us, despite thinking that it could never happen to us. Sending a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My BIL is facing this. I have known for years that his wife was unhappy, but he was so selfish he didn't notice. Now that she has announced that she wants out, he suddenly will do anything to keep her.....too little, too late!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't weathered divorces of long-term marriages (there was one that everyone went to the wedding wondering why?). It's weird really, considering that so many people get divorced. Now that we're in the throes of young kid-rearing, I wonder what will happen to us even though we've been through so much that I usually think that if we were going to split it would have been in the throes of infertility and adoption-waiting. But, I guess you never know.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.