Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Night Chit Chat: This & That

Howdy Humble Readers...
Miss Ginny at the park

Pippin hangin' out in the front yard 

I hope you've all had a great weekend. 

(Before I forget... J.R. has released a sneak peek of his upcoming book release on his website.  Click over to check it out, and if you don't know what or who I'm talking about, go here to read my interview with author J.R.Vikse and enter my giveaway!)

Things in the hobbit-hole were hoppin' yesterday.  My Beloved and the Wee-lings left for Little Town To The South at around 8:30 in the morning.  I got to work on painting the bath and hall by 9:00.  I was still at it when they got home at 8:00 last night, but I was doing extra, unplanned painting in our front entryway.  It wasn't until ten o'clock last night that I was able to take a shower and scrub off all the splatters and splotches.  I was hoping to have before and after pics for you all, but there are still a few details (like a new mirror, which won't be getting purchased until next weekend) that need to be installed.  Overall, I'm happy with the results.  It's much brighter, and feels a bit more spa-like. 

Today has been much less productive, in large part due to a lousy night's sleep and aching muscles.  I managed to get myself to Wa.lma.rt to buy myself some new walking shoes.  Hopefully they last longer than the last pair (not from Wally World, but from a chain shoe store). 

Something I learned yesterday (beyond the fact that painting a bathroom sucks)... I don't handle separation from my family well.  Specifically, me being at home by myself, with them out of town.  It was surprising and honestly a bit upsetting to discover that I was very anxious as they were leaving.  Off and on throughout the day, waves of uneasiness would wash over me.  It's odd, because I've never had this issue before, like when I've gone to Big City To The North with the girls.  I'm hoping it's just a phase. 

And speaking of phases... I say this in a whisper, as I don't want to jinx it, but it appears that Ginny is coming out of her "I don't want to feed myself" phase.  She's very proud of herself when she finishes eating in a timely manner, and when she hasn't needed any help from us.  One thing that may have helped is that we are now allowing her to have a cup with a bit of water at dinner time.  She's one of those kids who would fill herself on a drink and not eat, so the rule has always been that beverages come after meal time.  Now, at dinner, she gets a special cup half full of water, and she's allowed to take sips after every few bites.   I don't know if there's a correlation, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Onto this week's chit chat.  Here's what I'm...

Reading...  Mistress Of My Fate by Hallie Rubenhold.  The jury is still out on it.  Parts of it makes me think of a regency era Twilight, but other parts are quite good.  We'll have to see how it comes together at the end.  Not sure what's on deck, as I am at the top of the wait list at the library for the Robert Gailbraith (aka JK Rowling) novel.  We'll see if I get a call from them in the next couple of days. 

Watching...  A Mythbusters marathon.  I love those guys. 

Listening to...  my Beloved mutter to himself as he studies for his next CGA exam. 

Cooking/Baking...  Tonight was pretty tame.  Steaks with compound butter, mashed potatoes, and roasted carrots and broccoli.  I had some of my no sugar added, lactose free maple walnut ice cream for dessert (it actually tastes a lot better than it sounds). 

Happy I Accomplished This Week...  Ummm, well I painted the bathroom, the hall, the entry way and coat closet.  While I actually gained back a few pounds, I discovered I HAVE A COLLAR BONE!  You can see it, a little.  It's been missing for the last decade or so. 

Looking Forward To Next Week... This week is going to be a challenge.  Lots to do, and a short time to get it done.  But it's all for a good reason... VACATION!  My daily to do lists are a little crazy, but I am adamant that I won't leave anything in the hobbit-hole for my MIL (who will be here to care for the Wee-lings) to clean or reorganize. 

Thankful for... That my family is safe and sound, under our roof.

***Bonus Question*** Are you sad that summer is coming to an end, or looking forward to the fall months? I have always loved autumn.  It's always been a season of beginnings.  My birthday, the start of the school year (which I have always loved, even when my life hasn't been defined by school), the lead up to the holidays, the cooler weather after the heat of summer.  All of it breathes new life into my soul. 

*****
This is posted as a part of Carla's Sunday Night Chit Chat.  Pop over and check out what the others are chatting about tonight. 

4 comments :

  1. I LOVE fall! I'm a little sad about summer ending, but much more excited about the fall and early winter. Definitely my favorite part of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from ICLW. I do like the crisp and freshness of Fall, but I am loving summer and really don't want it to end yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the before and after pics! I love how painting a room makes it feel brand new and fresh. :) Your phase, feeling panicked without your family, that's me all the time. Which is odd because I've never been one to need company. I'm very content on my own, with a good book. But now that I have babies, I need to have them (and hubby) with me constantly. We can all do different stuff, I don't need to smother them. But if they're somewhere else and I can't see that they're okay, if I'm too far away to kiss away little boo-boos... I go crazy! LOL. I need to work on it, maybe. :)I love fall, as long as we get a fall. Around here we usually end up going from real summer heat and straight into snow, with just around a week or two of middle temps. But I love when it cools just a bit and all of my garden veggies really come on strong. Canning season!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have spent my whole life in school, either as a teacher, or a student, and sometimes both simultaneously, so September marks the new year for me. My birthday is earlier in August, so once that has passed, I always feel like summer is basically over, and it's time to get excited about new school supplies, etc. I also love the weather in the autumn and the changing leaves. I'm not a fan of the dog days of summer with the heat and humidity, so I don't mind a bit of crispness in the air.

    I went to the U.K. for two weeks by myself in April before Q. and E. came to join me, and I absolutely LOST my s*** before leaving. But once I got there, it was ok, and I was busy getting things ready for them. I did enjoy a bit of time to myself, but after about four days I was desperate for them to get there, and I really didn't cope well when they were on the plane and I was waiting for them to land safely.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.