Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is For... Yertle the Turtle (And a Few Updates)

Howdy Humble Readers...

Oy... what a day we've had around the hobbit-hole.  (But more on that later)

It's hard to believe, but we are approaching the end of the A to z Challenge.  When I signed up for this challenge, I really only wanted something to help distract me through the last few weeks of this pregnancy, but I have found that I have not only enjoyed the process, but have rekindled a desire to read some old favourites.  I'm hoping that some day soon I might find the focus that I've lost and be able to read at something close to the speed I used to. 

Today, being all about the letter Y, I have to talk about Yertle the Turtle.  I was hoping to incorporate some Seuss characters in this list, but it hasn't happened until now.  And oddly enough, Yertle has never been one of my favourite Seuss books (The Dr. Seuss Sleep Book holds that honour).  But, because of some recent happenings in the news, I have to write about Yertle. 

You see, the teachers unions in BC (the province to the west of us) have been battling for a new contract and have been holding some rotating work stoppages.  Now teachers in some areas have been using a quote from Yertle to promote their cause.  "I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights"  The quote seems appropos for those in the midst of a labour dispute. 

But why this has made news is because some school districts have an issue with teachers using this quote on buttons and bumper stickers that are visible to students.  They say that they don't want the students drawn into the politics of the situation. 

Personally, I wonder what world the school districts live in where they think that the students aren't fully aware of what's going on.  But, I'm not sure that teachers should be bringing the dispute into the classroom (wearing buttons with the quote).

Do you have an opinion about this?  And whether you do or not, what's your favourite Seuss book?

*****
Ok, back to 'oy'.  We were up and out of the house by 9:30 this morning.  We hit Costco first, and because it was still early, it was a breeze to get in and out of there (even though the bill at the end was ouchy).  After a quick stop at home to dump things in the fridge and freezer, we then headed to our regular grocery store, and spent another ridiculous amount of money.  Really, for the amount of money we spend on groceries, shouldn't someone come home with us to put them all away?

After lunch we went to work on repackaging the bulk packages of meat and I started my freezer cooking.  I made 2 meatloaves (is that really a word?), 5 meals worth of meatballs, 2 meals of Garlic Balsamic Pork, and 4 meals worth of Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole.  I also started on three other recipes that I will be finishing tomorrow.  And I made dinner, and I did almost all my dishes from my crazy kitchen mess.  I had to stop just shy of doing it all because my back started to rebel, in a very big way. 

I also finished knitting the Halfling's baby blanket, and my Beloved got a start on putting together the Halfling's crib. 

It's been one heck of a day.  But even though my back is screaming at me, and I may not be up to going to church tomorrow morning, I'm happy with what we accomplished today.  By the end of tomorrow I will have 30 dinner meals and 30+ breakfasts.  I won't have to cook for a whole month!!!  (Okay, I'll probably do a bit of cooking, but it's reassuring to know that I will have easy options)

*****
Remember those wonderful burns I got on my hand back on Easter Sunday?  Well, they've healed up nicely, but now I'm in that nasty gross reptile stage... my hand is peeling like crazy.  Ick!

8 comments :

  1. Dr. Seuss wasn't part of my childhood, though we had oodles of books. I didn't read any Dr. Seuss until our son came along. I love "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut", if only for the line "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
    Have you posted your recipe for Cabbage Roll Casserole? I would love to make that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If any collective action the teachers take is going to have any impact, it has to be public and thus noticed by students. Saying that the teachers shouldn't be doing anything that makes students notice is really saying they shouldn't do anything in public. besides, the outcome will have implications for students, so why would we want to keep this from them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing! I never could do all of that in one day, pregnant or not! But I'll bet it's nice to have it done. :) Sorry about the reptile skin. As for the school question... hmmmm. I understand them not wanting to keep it secret, and that it will impact students... BUT I have a really hard time with teachers shoving ANY agenda down children's throats. They're put in a place of authority and trust, and therefore have a larger influence on the students than many suppose. Yes, the students should be aware of what's going on, but perhaps it should be a bit removed. I HATE HATE HATE propaganda in the classroom, and though teachers might not mean to bring that in, that's effectively what they're doing. Surely the students are aware of the situation anyway. They need to be able to hear all sides, or none if they choose, and make up their own minds. Not be barraged all day, every day, by only one side of the issue. Regardless of the issue, a school is not a place for an agenda. Period. If I were a parent there, I'd be furious.... and I essentially agree with the teacher's movement, just not how they're going about it. (I'm pissed about this sort of thing even when I share a common agenda with a teacher doing it. Just inappropriate. TEachers here like to talk about "hot button" political issues all the time... talking is fine, taking a firm stance is not. Teachers are not the parents of their students and do not have that right.) Okay, I think I'm done PMSing on your page. Ha! Sorry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a delightful blog! Congratulations on your little honeydew.
    You impressed me with the amount of cooking you accomplished being as advanced in your pregnancy as you are.
    Praying for all the best for your little Hobbit family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we get to see a picture of the blanket you knitted? Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I am so impressed (and jealous) that you have so many meals prepared! I have a whole litany of excuses: I'm not that organized, my kids won't give me the time, and I'm too exhausted. I have a feeling we'll be racking up the Happy Meal toys around our house after the baby comes... *hides under a bag* But it sounds like you are doing well in the home stretch! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prepared zero meals! You are way better than me. Sobeys is serving us quite well, lol. Good thing it's close to home! Love this Dr. Seuss quote and I have several friends who are public school teachers in BC right now. I have talked to my kids about strikes and politics and that sort if thing before, especially because it is part of the curriculum. :). But maybe I'm biased??

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Marvin K Mooney Will You Please Go Now!" and "Wacky Wednesday" were my fav Dr Seuss books growing up. I also loved getting my parents to read the tongue twister ones like "Hop on Pop" and "Fox in Socks".

    The BC Labour dispute reminds me of when Klein made a whole bunch of cuts to Education and Health while I was in High School. I think we did some skits in drama class about it, probably because our teacher was upset, not because we wanted to say something about the issue.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.