Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week 23: Feeling Fat(ter)

Hey Humble Readers...

I hope that you're all doing well this evening.  Things here at the hobbit hole are pretty mellow now, but it was a bit of a challenging day.  Ginny had a rough day, experiencing what I think was her first tantrum.  We're in an a bit of a transition stage right now, with morning naps slowly phasing out (getting shorter all the time), and when you throw in teething and a burgeoning sense of independence... well things come to a head easily. 

Today's drama involved a part of my Beloved's desk that the wee girl can reach, and the items that she likes to pull off the desk (pencils, check book, tape dispensers).  Every time she would go near it, I would say no and move her away.  Finally, I said no for the enth time and she just lost it.  She dropped to the floor, and shrieked for a good five minutes.  I didn't make a big deal about it, but she was cranky and whiny all day after that.  It made for a frustrating day for both of us.  I was never so thankful to see my Beloved walk through the door tonight. 

In other news, some of the weight I have lost in the past couple of months seems to have found me.  I'm not quite where I was at when I first found out I was pregnant, but if I have another week like this one, I'll be back there pretty darn quick.  I know that plus sized women are 'supposed to' gain between 11-15 pounds during a pregnancy, but I will admit that I was kind of hoping for a repeat of last time... only gaining 8lb, and that came on in the last six weeks.  Of course, I have slipped off the diabetic diet a bit this week, and that may have something to do with it as well.  *sigh* 

How far along? 23w0d

Maternity clothes?  Absolutely.  I've even noticed a difference in how my lazy day clothes (sweats, etc) are fitting.  But unless I specifically tell someone, they still can't tell I'm pregnant. 

Body Oddities? VERY dry skin, alternating constipation and IBS flares, acne, bruises from insulin injections, back ache, cracking joints, super sore & slightly leaky boobs, increased earwax, dry/itchy eyes, leg cramps, round ligament pain.  NEW THIS WEEK: heartburn is much worse, even with my rx meds. 

Sleep? Pretty good this week, so long as I got to bed at a decent hour.  (Made the mistake of staying up late on Saturday night playing Zuma and listening to music on my Beloved's computer.  Didn't get to bed until 1 in the morning, then I couldn't sleep)

Best moment this week? Getting a couple of hours to myself to get caught up on my DVR shows.  (I am addicted to Downton Abbey!!!)

Worst moment? losing Uncle Jack, stepping on the scale this morning and seeing that gain

Movement? Lots.  It seems like it might be triggered when I eat... like right now (finished dinner an hour ago)

Food cravings/aversions? Still craving milk.  And I've found that recently it's been easy for nausea to kick in... something grosses me out, and I end up gagging for several minutes. 

Rings? Still on, but my fingers have been a little puffy the last couple of days, so we may be seeing the beginning of the end.

Gender? Still leaning towards girl, although most of my Beloved's family seems to think it's a boy.

Intense Dreams? All my dreams are really influenced by what I watch on tv, what I read, or what I listen to just before I go to sleep.  Like on Saturday night, when I finally did get to sleep, I dreamt of Donnie Wahlberg (was listening to NKOTB) and medieval France (was reading Philippa Gregory)

Medical Concerns? Gestational Diabetes (insulin 5 times a day), High blood pressure (on 100mg of lobetalol 3x daily), continued heartburn (on 150mg of zan.tac 2x daily), kidney stones, low lying placenta.

What I miss?  Being able to get down on the floor easily to play with Ginny.  Getting back up is a challenge too.

What I look forward to? I've decided that for the first week after I'm home from the hospital, I'm going to allow myself to eat whatever the heck I want to.  Then I'll endeavor to be a good girl.  Sushi, ice cream, and chai tea lattes will be on the menu.

Emtional State? Pretty good, mostly.  When my back starts aching, and when my blood sugars are wonky (both have been happening a fair bit this week) I get grouchy.

2 comments :

  1. I have to say how sorry I am to read about the loss of your Uncle Jack.

    Also, sorry you are having to deal with tantrums. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kristin...tantrums suck! Here's hoping Ginny's teeth feel better soon, and she gets regulated to her new nap time so she gets her sweet demeanor back quickly. :)

    I too LOVE Downton Abbey! Awesome show...and the Matthew/Lady Mary and Anna/Mr. Bates love angst situations are SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.