Saturday, August 20, 2011

Foodie Friday: Overdue Saturday Edition

Hey Humble Readers...

What do you get when you combine cramps-from-hell, a teething baby girl, and a messy house?  No blogging, that's what you get.  I know I have a ton of posts to catch up on, so that's on my to-do list for tonight, after I share a couple of great recipes with you all.

I made these on Wednesday night and I have to say that I think they both turned out pretty well.  The original recipe for the quiche ended up making enough to fill one and a half nine inch pie shells, so I had to adjust a bit.  I'm just glad that I had bought a pack of two frozen pie shells (yeah, this hobbit has yet to figure out why I would mess with making my own pastry).  So, only plan on making this if you are going to be feeding an army (or a couple of teenagers), or like leftovers.  The salad is a cheapskate take on an Italian classic, and is super easy to multiply for larger groups. 

Sausage & Tomato Quiche

2 9inch pie shells
5 Eggs
3 links Italian Sausage, casings removed
1 Med Onion, diced
1 pint Grape Tomatoes, halved lengthwise
3/4 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Milk
1 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup Fresh Basil, chiffonade
Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Bake pie shells according to directions on the box, or however you do your pie crusts.  Like I said, this hobbit doesn't do scratch pastry.  (Important tip: Bake the pie shells on a baking tray with a lip, just in case of spills)  Brown and crumble sausage until no longer pink, add onion and saute until softened, then allow to cool slightly.  In a large bowl combine eggs, sour cream, and milk and whisk together.  Add tomatoes, cheddar, basil, pepper, and sausage mix.  Stir gently to until combined and divide between the two pie crusts.  Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving. 


Chopped Caprese Salad  (serves 2)

2 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
1 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil. vinegar, salt and pepper to make a vinaigrette.  Add tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella and toss gently in the dressing.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes.  Serve chilled. 

3 comments :

  1. Those look delicious. I hope both you and Ginny are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche but I have never made it myself. This looks pretty easy though. but I have to ask what does chiffonade mean?! That is far too fancy of a cookery term for me, LOL! Hope you all are feeling better! Enjoy the lovely weather today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I look forward to what is cooking this week.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.