Saturday, February 19, 2011

Overdue Post #1 - Our Trip to Kelowna

Hey Humble Readers!

I'm planning on doing a few posts that are long overdue, starting with the most recent and working backwards.  I want to get these posts finished and out there, so that I have them to remember. 
So, the trip last week was fabulous and far too short.  We flew out on Friday, the 4th, and Ginny is an airplane super star!  Granted it's a short flight, only about an hour, but she slept the whole way there and back with nary a peep out of her.  When the plane took off I was praying that the pressure changes wouldn't hurt her ears too much, and all she did was suck on my finger.  Not even a whimper.

My mom met us at the airport, along with Zman (my former-foster-step-nephew) who is the sweetest 16 year old boy out there.  He was so excited to meet his new little cousin.  He wanted to take her out of the car seat right away, but we talked him into waiting until we got home.  Sadly, I didn't get any pics of the two of them together, and we didn't see him again while we were out there.  But he was just so into holding her and making her smile, it was awesome.

The week was a lot of visiting and going out for brunches and lunches with family.  These pics are from brunch when Ginevra met my Grandma & Grandpa F (Dad's parents). 

Mama & Ginny havin' brunch

Great-Grandma Dodo & Ginny

Great-Grandpa Won & Ginny (don't listen to his tall tales baby girl)

Papa & Ginny
When my parents moved a couple of years ago, they got rid of all the baby stuff they had from when Oscar & Felix (my sister's kids) were wee, so we had to improvise where Ginny would sleep.  The laundry basket worked double duty as a bed and as a bouncy chair (when padded with a pillow). 
Maxin' and relaxin'
My mom threw a little baby shower for us, so that more people could get to meet Ginevra.  It was just a little get together, but everyone was so generous and so incredibly taken with Ginny.  My favourite moment was when my cousins D & H met her.  I came into the family when they were preschoolers, and now they're all grown up and ooh-ing over my little girl. 
Ginny and her cousin D

Mom and Dad babysat one evening so that my Beloved and I could go out.  We had a nice casual dinner and went to a movie (the Kings Speech - totally rocked!!!).  For the first hour that we were away from her, I felt a little panicky, even though I knew that she would be just fine with my parents.  After that, I seemed to be able to mellow out and enjoy myself.
Ginny with Auntie J, and cousins D & H

Mom and I cooked a ton of good food together, something that I miss tremendously.  We made ribs & chicken in our homemade bbq sauce, I taught her how to make my chicken curry with quinoa and she showed me a great new cake recipe.  We drank some really good wine.  Man I miss having her close by.

Overall, it was a quick and uneventful trip, but I'm so glad that we got to go.  I know some day they'll live closer to us, but for now we have to cherish the brief times we get to spend together.

3 comments :

  1. It sounds like a truly wonderful trip. Love the relationship you have with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to take Ruby to see my family, even though it means a 4 hour plane ride with her by myself. I'm glad you got to enjoy some family time. It's always bittersweet to leave, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby girl is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.