Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Best Lasagna Ever! (And Some Randomness)

Hey Humble Readers! 

(second post of the day... I warned you this would happen!)

So, today was a moderately productive day.  My Beloved has been asking me to make lasagna for a couple of years, but I have never been really happy with my recipe so I've avoided it.  I finally broke down and did some digging and found this recipe online that appealed to me. 

The sauce, at first glance, seems to be rather labour intensive, but really it's just combining a lot of good ingredients, and then letting them come together.  I wish I could have let the sauce simmer for an extra hour or two, but it was still great. 

There was enough sauce for one large pan of lasagna (for the freezer), one small pan of lasagna (for tonight and lunch tomorrow), and enough sauce left over for me to freeze to have with spaghetti some night down the road. 


Seriously, if you don't have a great lasagna recipe, you need to try this one.  The only changes I made were to omit the sugar from the sauce (I thought it was great without it) and added spinach while building the layers.  My Beloved ate two huge pieces, plus a salad... he's now in a dinner coma. 

*****
Kristin, over at Dragondreamer's Lair, is hosting an awesome giveaway that you have got to check out!!  Are you all familiar with CSN stores online (one of my favourite online shopping locales)?  Kristin is giving away a CSN giftcard that can be used at any of their 200 stores.  There are a ton of ways to enter the giveaway... so get your tail over there!

*****
So, I had a little brainwave the other day, and while it may seem obvious to some, I'm pretty gosh darn proud of the idea.  I inventoried my freezers.  I now know exactly what I have and how much (generally speaking).  With our newly tightened budget, this will help me with meal planning and grocery shopping.  For example, I have 6 meals worth of pork chops in the freezer, so I know I don't need to buy those for the next while.  Now, I just need to keep it current. 

5 comments :

  1. That lasagna looks amazing!! I'll have to save that recipe for a later date. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that lasagna looks awesome! Makes me hungry! :) Thanks for your comment about my appointment with the FS tomorrow. I will definitely keep you posted on how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, lasagna. Now I need to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lasagna sounds amazing! Thanks for promoting my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.