Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hobbit-ish Potpurri: Snowed In Edition

Good Morning Humble Readers...

I'm sorry I haven't been around the last few days. I am getting caught up, and soon will be back in the swing of things.

******
Sunday was the anniversary of my last bfp. It wasn't too bad... I know I was overly sensative to baby anything on Sunday, and worship was difficult to get through (with all the Advent references to pregnancy, waiting, etc). But after that, my Beloved and I went for lunch and then embarked on a new 'adventure'.

******
Our new adventure? For some, it might not sound exciting, but it's something I've wanted to start for a long time. We began researching our family tree. We signed up for one of the online geneology sites, and in a matter of just a couple hours, we were making some pretty cool discoveries. Thanks to some work already done by one of my aunts, we were able to go back 8 generations through my Grandpa B. Very cool! AND I think I may have found Frederick Barnes (maker of the violin)! We are making slow but sure progress on my Beloved's family, but I'm having difficulties with my bio mom's side of things. We'll see where this new adventure leads.

******
Last Friday it started snowing. It wasn't the first snowfall of the year, but it was the biggest. It snowed all day on Friday. It snowed all night Friday night. It was still snowing at ten minutes to eight Saturday morning, when my boss called to get me to go to our store and let the staff in. He was stuck in his driveway, behind a four foot high snow drift. I wasn't scheduled until 2pm, so I just threw on some clothes, covered my unwashed hair, and my Beloved and I dashed out. It took us 20 minutes to get out of our parking spot and down the back lane. We ended up needing help getting pushed through some of the drifts. So, I'm at the store, awaiting my boss's arrival so that I can go back home. At 9:30ish, he called to say that he wouldn't be in, he was thoroughly stuck. At this point I got a little stressed. Half our staff had called in sick or stuck. Our leadership team was down to me (two were stuck in the snow and the other was sick). AND I HADN'T SHOWERED! Gah! So, I got the store open, and then dashed back home to take a shower (leaving the store manager-less) and then dashed back. Thankfully, my boss got himself unstuck and the other manager who was sick was able to come in for the last few hours of the evening. It's been positively arctic since. Today is the warmest it's been since last Thursday, at -16C (2F). Monday it was -32C before the wind! Hobbits don't like winter!

******
On the health front... the UTI seems to be all cleared up. Today is my last day of antibiotics, and I'm glad that this out of the way well before O time. And the IBS... fiber has actually helped a lot. I've only had one bad day in the last week. We'll see if it continues.

******
The Holiday edition of the Great Recipe Round-Up will go up tomorrow. Be thinking about which of your holiday recipes you want to share with the blogosphere!

4 comments :

  1. I've been thinking of doing some research on my family tree. You can learn a lot of cool things. Enjoy the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am so glad that the infection is gone...and what a cool hobby you guys have picked up!

    Am glad that Sunday did not go too bad...the occasion will always remain in your consciousness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know your are feeling better and bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr that sounds really cold.

    I so totally dig you MrsG. I love that you and your husband call things "an adventure" 'cause that's what MrBeep and I call things. Going on a vacation? An adventure. Short hike on a new trail? An adventure. Heading out to try a new restaurant? An adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me for lacking with the comments lately. School/work has been a bear!

    --KUDOS to you for your post-a- day. AWESOME!

    --I find genealogy research fascinating and have always wanted to go to Ireland to trace my own "Flynn" (Grandma's maiden name) roots. EIGHT generations----fantastic!

    --Below zero temps....yikes! I thought my bum was going to freeze solid when we were in Ohio for Thanksgiving, and it was only in the high 20's/low 30's.

    --Sorry I don't have any exciting holiday recipes to offer.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.