All things considered, it's been an okay week here in the hobbit-hole.
- I've been consistent with going for walks every day this week. I've increased my steps per day from a low of around 2500 to a high of just over 8000 (target - 10000). I'm averaging between 5000 and 6000 right now. Starting tomorrow I'm going to be adding in my walking poles (for those unfamiliar... imagine ski poles with blunted ends) to help work out my upper body.
- I have been counting all my carbs (as best I can... it's an inexact science I'm afraid) and measuring everything. I'm keeping my counts below my self-imposed targets (breakfast < 30, lunch < 45, dinner < 60) and I may be able to lower those targets soon.
- My blood sugars have been dropping steadily, and while they aren't where they need to be, they are markedly improved. I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to the metformin and how much to diet and exercise (I'm guessing maybe two thirds/one third), but however it's happening, I'm glad of it.
- I have lost a little over two pounds this week, so I am less than half a pound away from my original weight-loss target!!! Woohoo!
- Pippin went for his first haircut this weekend. He looks like such a big boy. Less than two weeks until his birthday... how the time flies!
- We actually had weather warm enough for me to break out my new capris and flip flops. Of course, there is a possibility of snow in the forecast for the next few days, but we are supposed to be back up around 18C by mid week.
- While the metformin is doing its job on my blood sugars, it's also doing a number on my lower GI. There has only been one day in the past 10 where I haven't had an IBS flare. Not fun, and certainly not convenient.
- When I got back from my walk on Friday morning, my Beloved and I discovered that we had no hot water. If you've been around here awhile, you may recall that we had just had the hot water tank replaced a year and a half ago, so you can imagine how unimpressed I was. After waiting all day for the plumber to come, we discovered that our gas had been shut off. On a Friday. There has been a huge mess about the gas bill (basically, my Beloved who is our condo board treasurer hasn't been getting the bills. Our board president changed our service provider a couple of months ago, and has never gotten around to giving us any of the paperwork... like I said, a huge mess). We have been without hot water all weekend, and likely won't have it back until sometime tomorrow. Ask me how much I like cold showers and boiling water on the stove to was my dishes... I dare you.
Reading? I'm about 30 pages away from the end of Taliesin. I'm going to finish it up tonight and then dive back into the Mitford series.
Listening to? My Beloved as he slurps his iced tea.
Watching? Call the Midwife and Mr. Selfridge. There's also a new series on PBS called Bletchley Circle that's an interesting mystery/procedural drama that I'm recording. Who knows when I'm going to get around to watching.
Cooking/Baking? Tonight was a typical Sunday dinner. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, and roasted carrots, asparagus, and mushrooms. Was very yummy. Tomorrow is a new recipe for pork chops, mashed sweet potatoes, and roasted cauliflower. I'm very into roasting our veggies just now. Roasted mushrooms are seriously the best thing I have ever eaten. At least this week. :)
Happy you accomplished this week? I'm very proud of myself for sticking with my walking this week. There have been moments when I didn't feel like getting up at the butt crack of dawn, but this is important.
Looking forward to next week? Planning Pip's birthday party. I think I have the menu sorted out, now I need to decide on the cake and do some dollar store shopping for decorations.
Thankful for today? The things that make our lives easy. Dishwashers, washing machines, and hot water heaters (when they blankety-blank have the gas to make them work).
****Bonus Question**** What is your preferred method for contacting someone? (email, text, phone, letter, etc...) I prefer anything but the phone. I hate talking on the phone. My cell phone rarely actually is used for making or receiving phone calls. I guess I would have to say email is my preferred method, although texting can be good for quick messages. My sister loves to text and I'm just not that into it.
This has been posted as a part of Carla's Sunday Night Chit Chat. Click over and check out what others are chatting about tonight. And better still, join in!